Friday, September 9, 2011

A New Season



It's been a wild ride these last few months. Part of me is so excited about Fall (my absolute favorite time of the year), but this year I am especially sad to see summer end. There's only one reason - my kids!


I have been so blessed to spend a lot of time with Ean and Evy over the summer and create many wonderful memories with them. From feeding the ducks to Dollywood getaways to the zoo, it's been an amazing time to see them grow.



Of course for me, insight comes in the way of music. So what better song to summarize my feelings than Summer Lovin' from the movie Grease. Now, it's not so much about my high school flame, but about a little hint of sadness I have that we can't just wake up each morning and ask "What do we want to do today?"

This in and of itself is huge for me. Those who know me well know that I'm a planner. I'm not your spur of the moment gal, but my kids have helped me change.

Most mornings this summer, I've opted to throw my hair in a ponytail and skip my shower so we could embark on our morning adventure. Some mornings it involved a good hour of sitting on my front porch watching Ean and Evy explore in the train (aka wagon) pretending to find monkeys and other wild animals in our yard. Then, to take a few hours to visit Nana, Papaw, the zoo, mall, gym, park, pool, museum, and ice cream shop! Sweet, sweet memories I'm praying will always be with me.

I know time moves on and we all grow up, but oh how desperately I wish I could pause it for a few key moments when...


- Ean kisses Evy and tells her "It's ok baby, you don't have to cry, I'm here."
- Evy waves and blows kisses from the garage window as I leave
- Ean tells me stories like "When I was a baby, I used to fly like a bird."
- Ean reminds me not to flush the potty at the zoo because it's too loud. Really?
- Ean rubs my head when I'm not feeling well and says "Sweet girl"
- Ean asks me each night "Mommy, will you cuddle with me?"
- Evy laughs while chasing her brother around the kitchen
- Ean points out that "Salsarita's is open, mommy" (even at 9am in the morning)
- Ean and Evy greet me at the door and Ean asks "How was your day mommy? How's it going?"
- Ean says "I love you so much"




I have to remind myself that THESE are the moments life is made of....not fancy vacations or expensive toys but good old fashioned quality time with my kids. Priceless.

So, Fall, I welcome you. I'll try not to be sad about saying goodbye to summer because I know that even crunchy leaves, hot chocolate, and jingle bells are going to make some pretty special memories too!

No comments:

Post a Comment