Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Father's Gift

I can still remember the first time I received a gift from my dad. I was 18. Sure, I received birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, and everything in between from the moment I was born - but I don't recall that they were specifically from my dad.

When I was 18, a life changing event occurred. My parents divorced. I knew my parents didn't have a close relationship, but I was still in shock when it happened. After some time, I moved in with my dad which was a really big deal. See, my dad and I were not close. Really, he was a stranger to me in so many ways but circumstances put us together, and I will forever be grateful. One Valentine's Day, I walked into my room and discovered the most beautiful simple rose in a glass vase with a note from my dad that said, "I love you." It wasn't extravagant but it was from my father.

The truth is that there is something amazingly deep that connects you to gifts from the Father. I was reminded of this when I observed my five year old this week. You see, his dad gave him an old watch of his. It is a gigantic man's watch that nearly swallows his wrist, but to my son it is one of his most prized possessions. He sleeps in it. He wears it to school proudly. He even wants to take a bath in it since dad told him it was waterproof. I, of course, thought it looked odd and encouraged him to take it off so we could find something more his size. Until I realized that the watch meant way more to my son not because of it's size or loud alarms but because he loves to tell everyone "Daddy gave it to me."

My husband and I now realize the power of the watch so we are strategically thinking about things we want him to do and how to leverage daddy's new powers. Until, Carlos gave him one of his Bibles. Our son will not part with the Bible. He carries it all around the house so proudly. He woke me this morning in the dark carrying his Bible asking if I would read him a story. Now let's face it, the Bible is not Curious George so initially I struggled with how to make it engaging when he flipped to a random page, but little did I know that God is not random as he turned and selected pages with stories so relevant not just for my son but for me...from Daniel's faith in God as he was being thrown into the lion's den to His power to create everything in this world. Finally, He got my attention.

God is after our hearts. He is stirring in my son's heart a deep desire and love for His word, and He is gently reminding me that He is the giver of all good things. You see, we have been through an extremely difficult few years as a family and just a few days ago I felt like I could go no farther. I felt like Job, you have taken so much from me Lord, just take me too because this is more difficult than what I can handle. Then, He uses my son to remind me that He only requests that we approach Him with the faith of a child and that nothing in this world that compares to the gifts that the Father gives to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment