Monday, June 25, 2012

What's in a Song?



I have always loved music, but I didn't realize how much so until I had children. When I was pregnant with Ean, I would listen to music and he would literally start kicking my tummy rapidly. I had always heard that babies would respond to music when you're pregnant, but little did I know that my little guy was likely keeping a beat before he was born.

I can't seem to get him to stop beating. Beating his spoon on his bowl, banging the floor with toys, tapping his hands on the car seat. . . you name it, he will tap it! I've found it really frustrating at times - especially when we're trying to eat dinner. Ugh! I have to admit that if you can hear yourself think between the beating of the drum and if you listen very intently - you can hear a sweet boy's heart of worship. I often hear Ean praying before each song he plays giving praise to God and offering Him his song. That, is truly the sweetest sound to this mommy's ears!

Today, God gave me new insights to the unstoppable beat in my son. It's the rhythm of God's heart in Him. You see, Ean was born for music. He sings, plays drums, guitar, and piano. It is just in him. The other day he was tapping out rhythms on his tummy and asking me to guess the song. I was surprised that I recognized most of them, then I realized we have this amazing connection through music. It's sort of like an invisible thread that bonds us together.

A few years ago, I flipped the radio over and heard a station called Klove. They were challenging listeners to only listen to Christian music for one month and see if there is a difference in their life. It was so impactful to me. I found that my heart and mind were more focused on God, and I was filled with a deep sense of worship when I was in my car. Now that I have kids, they too have a deep love for worship music.

When a song comes on the radio, Ean and Evy will announce "It's my song Mommy, please turn it up!" and we worship together driving down the road. Our worship often includes clapping, raising our hands (of course not for me when I'm driving), and lots of laughing. I can just imagine the heart of our Father in Heaven looking down on my kids with such delight when they worship Him. With Evy's broken sentences and Ean's interpretation of the songs, they really do sing with all of their hearts.

I listened to them today driving down the road and my heart was so full. All I could do was smile. I think God looks at our simple acts of worship and it delights Him.

So, I look at music differently now. I am more accepting of all of Ean's bangs to the beat because I know that it is his expression of worship and his very own conversation with God.

It's the heart that's really what is in a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment